No Comments


Marvin Peters:

Some of you may not have known Marvin and Marian Peters, as they had moved to Lake Havasu City, AZ a couple of years ago.  They wanted to be close to their daughter in their golden years.  In younger years, we took care of our children, but now, as we get older, the kids take care of us.

  Word was received that Marvin, 91 passed away on August 13th.  His wife, Marian of 65 years, passed away March, 2015.  The Peters joined PP.C. in 1992 by letter of transfer from another church.  Marian served on the Board of Deacons here at P.P.C.  Marvin was good to show up for a work “party” in the younger years.  For the “party”, we would have maybe 15 men and women show for a breakfast of NOT donuts, but eggs, bacon, biscuits and fruit.  We would have a devotion, then the “party” would begin.  This was a time when we had more younger folks in the church family.

A side note; when my first wife was living (before 2001), the Johnsons had a New Years party at our home and Marvin and Marian came.  No SPIRITS or beer was allowed and we had a good crowd and a good time.  Everyone was sober for the drive home.  Someone was the time keeper, so when it was 11:59 PM, we all got our coffee mugs or punch glasses and gathered together for a toast at midnight.  The hour arrived, we had the toast and “wished each other, A HAPPY NEW YEAR!”  After we kissed all of the ladies, I thought the group would be asking for their coats to go home…WRONG.  About 1:00 o’clock, I was ready to go to bed.  But, we still had a house full of guests.  I could have asked the last person to leave please turn out the lights and lock the door behind them. 

About that time, someone mentioned my hobby of several antique farm tractors.  Several of the men wanted to see them in my garage, so we went outside and Marvin was the most interested.  “DO THEY ALL RUN?”, I was asked.  In other words, let’s hear the 1935 John Deere and all the others pop.  So we did.  By this time, it was after 2 AM and I was thinking, hey guys, go home.  Finally, they left at about 2:30 AM.

Never under estimate the power of positive thinking, because it worked, 2 or 3 hours too late, as far as I was concerned at the time.

Later, reliving the party in my own mind, this was a time when we could visit and get to know each other a little better than on Sunday morning in church with, “Hi, How are ya?  It is nice to see ya.”  I got caught up on my sleep the next few nights, because we did not have anyone over for the “evening”. 


From the P.P.C. Family,  Ken Johnson

Evelyn Grashel:

 Word was received of the death of one of our dear members, Evelyn Grashel on September 7th,.  It seems that the summer months takes it’s toll on our senior

citizens and 2016 has not been an exception. 

The information I have on Evelyn is limited, as I do not have any contact with any of Evelyn’s family members and she and I, did not drink coffee together.

Evelyn came to P.P.C. on April 2, 1990, by reaffirmation of faith.  I do not know where she lived prior to living in the west Peoria area or where she grew up.  Evelyn was an active Deacon here at P.P.C. in the years of 1991, 1992 and 1993.  According to the roll book page on our Deacons, she was ordained as a Deacon in 1954, elsewhere.  Evelyn was faithful in holding a pew down on the north side of the sanctuary every Sunday, until the time came that she was unable to attend worship.  The last time I visited with Evelyn, I took her a takeout plate from a Thanksgiving church dinner.  At that time, she had a caregiver.  Sometime after that, she moved to Kingman, Arizona and this is where she passed away.

Her services were at Sunland Memorial Park Mortuary and burial was at the National Cemetery on Cave Creek Road.

Thank you Evelyn, for your years of service at Peoria Presbyterian Church.

From your church family,

Ken Johnson

Categories: Newsletter

Leave a Reply